Become a Child Care Provider (CCIP)
Are you a newly licensed Family Child Care Provider
or would like to start your own Family Child Care Business?
Options for Learning provides educational activities, technical assistance, and ongoing support for individuals who are interested in becoming a licensed family child care providers. You may also be eligible for reimbursements up to a $1,000.00 on startup cost.
If you are beginning your journey to become a family child care provider, our program focuses on group training and individual support for caregivers who are interested in providing care for infants and toddlers.
Benefits of participation include:
- Free workshops
- Assistance understanding California’s licensing requirements
- Pre-licensing walk through of your home
- Technical support
- Networking with other child care providers
Reimbursements* may include:
- Application fee
- Fingerprinting for prospective provider and other adults 18 years and older living in the home
- TB test and Immunizations required by Community Care Licensing (CCL)
- Fire extinguisher, smoke/carbon monoxide detector, baby gates and other required equipment that is needed to become licensed family child care provider
If you believe you are ready to take the next step in your career as an early care and education professional, please contact us!
Baldwin Park Office (626) 856-5900
Josie Medina ext 150 (English & Spanish)
Miriam Ibarra ext 181 (English & Spanish)
CCIP is a quality improvement project, funded by the California Department of Education (CDE), Early Education & Support Division (EESD).
STEPS TO GETTING LICENSED
In California, the Department of Social Services - Community Care Licensing Division licenses and monitors Family Child Care Homes and Child Care Centers in an effort to ensure that children have safe and healthy child care environments. Review these basic steps and contact our Resource & Referral Department for further assistance.
Step 1 – Orientation
Pay a non-refundable fee & complete an orientation online or in-person. Live orientations are scheduled regularly in English, Spanish and Chinese. Review license qualifications/regulations on How to Become Licensed or contact:
LOS ANGELES CHILD CARE EAST - REGIONAL OFFICE
1000 Corporate Center Drive, Suite 200-B
Monterey Park, CA 91754
Step 2 – Application
Complete an application. The orientation will provide you with information on how to become licensed, how to obtain an application packet and instructions regarding state regulations. You, and every person over age 18 living in the home, will need:
- to be fingerprinted (LiveScan fingerprinting)
- a Child Abuse Index Check
- a tuberculosis (TB) skin test
- a criminal record statement (Lic. 508)
Our Resource and Referral Department can review completed applications prior to submission.
Step 3 – Home and Business Preparation
- Use the Self-Assessment Guides to prepare.
- Join the Family Child Care Food Program and get reimbursed for serving nutritious meals and snacks to the children in your home. Call (626) 338-4165 for more information.
- Enroll in the CCIP program or classes for tailored training and support.
Step 4 – Licensing Inspection
Your business/home must pass an inspection prior to becoming licensed. A scheduled site visit will be done by a licensing analyst from Community Care Licensing to check the environment and verify that regulations and health and safety practices are being followed.
Step 5 – Start Your Business & Maintain Your License
Once your license is approved and in-hand, you may begin to enroll children. You must follow all existing and new state regulations and pay an annual fee to maintain your license. The Resource & Referral program can begin referring you on the free child care referral database, but you must call when you receive your license. Our contracts prohibit us from making recommendations, so we suggest that you attend regular professional development training to be competitive and offer the highest quality care possible.
Call us for more information at (626) 856-5900 or (562) 945-2635 ext. 1