Choosing Quality Care
Tips on Finding Quality Care
Interview and observe the potential provider with the child.
- Explore why this caregiver wants to care for children.
- How does s/he fee about this type of work?
- Is this person warm, caring, attentive and responsive to the child?
Ask the potential provider:
- What is a typical day like with the children?
- What are their feelings and approach to discipline?
- How to they handle naps, eating and toilet learning?
- How are emergencies handled?
Ask a lot of “what if” questions, for example:
- What if my child cries frequently?
- What if my child refuses to eat?
- What if my child won’t nap?
Check potential provider’s references and work history. Trust your instincts! Hire someone you like. Hire someone your child likes.
Check a facility's licensing record with the California Department of Social Services HERE.
Once you have found a provider, be sure to communicate regularly and openly about how the child care arrangement is working.
Call 626-856-5900 ext. 3 and we’ll mail you a Choosing Quality Child Care pamphlet or you may print the checklist below to get started with your search.